Question for Home Groups or private reflection
Reflection & Application
- What is the difference between a cover-up in church vs protecting the name of Christ?
- What is it unhelpful to expose disagreement and what are the possible consequences for
a) the name of Christ?
b) the person, or people's conduct which has been exposed?
- What are the particular challenges and possible consequences of falling out with other Christians in a church where you might have known someone (and even their relatives) for a very long time?
- Misunderstanding someone's motives or character can cause us to see all that they do through the same prism. Think of examples in the Bible illustrating this point and why it is wrong.
- Think of an example, perhaps in public life or in the news presently, where someone has been left with egg on their face and consider how they might have reacted differently if they had not been publicly criticised or humiliated.
- Paul says in Romans that we should live at peace with others "if possible, so far as it depends on you." What are the available Bible based responses for dealing with another Christian who makes it impossible for you? What does impossible mean?
- Try to think of someone who you have formed an opinion of which, upon reflection, could be wrong? Pray quietly for The Lord's forgiveness and His grace for the future.
- If you have been on the receiving end of injustice, consider your reaction to that injustice. How has this impacted you and how can learning from study help you?
- Pray that the Holy Spirit would cultivate His fruit in you (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control) to help avoid disagreement and dispute.
NEW: Hover over bible verses to preview the reference and click to view on Bible Gateway